There also seems to be a reassuringly high level of coincidence between that list of up and coming wineries and various wines of the week on this website. See Great new South Africans published last November and Julia's Jewels from South Africa from last May.
Feel free to comment in the box below.
Top ten South African reds:
1st Sadie Family Columella
2nd Kanonkop Paul Sauer
Joint 3rd Boekenhoutskloof Cabernet, Boekenhoutskloof Syrah and Le Riche Cabernet Sauvignon Reserve
7th Vergelegen Red
8th Meerlust Rubicon
Joint 9th Bouchard Finlayson Galpin Peak Pinot Noir and
Jordan Cobblers Hill
Top ten South African whites:
Joint 1st Cape Point Vineyards Isliedh and Sadie Family Palladius
3rd Ataraxia Chardonnay and Vergelegen White
5th Hamilton Russell Vineyards Chardonnay
6th Tokara White
7th Ken Forrester The FMC
Joint 8th Chamonix Chardonnay, Sequillo White and
Steenberg Sauvignon Blanc Reserve
Up and coming wineries:
Please note that in all cases we are looking for wines and wineries with a bit of track record - let's say 3 years. So a winery that has produced one or even two brilliant vintages should not qualify as a top 20 producer, nor should the wines themselves qualify in their categories until they have shown a bit of consistency. There is provision below for mentioning new wineries to expect great things from.
1. Name (order irrelevant) the top five wineries in the Cape, in terms of quality.
2. Name (order irrelevant) the next best 15 wineries. This will give a total of the top 20 wineries)
3. Name up to five wineries that you think will probably be VERY strong contenders for a Top 20 placing within a few years.
4. Name the top ten red table wines in the country (track record of three vintages).
5. Name the top ten white table wines in the country (track record of three vintages).