6 Feb 2014 - See who eventually won a stint in the Cape sunshine and Jordan winery here.
This week London is being invaded by wine producers from South Africa, Chile and Argentina who will be showing their wares at a big, combined tasting on Wednesday and Thursday. We're happy to spread news of an exciting offer from Jordan Wine Estate in South Africa.
Kathy Jordan in particular, pictured here, is keenly aware that more women in the wine business need encouragement. (There was a thread on Twitter on this very subject only last week.) The Jordan Wine Estate is therefore launching a Women in Wine Initiative whereby the successful candidate will be flown to South Africa to do the 2014 vintage at Jordan in Stellenbosch.
Last October Kathy Jordan launched a twofold wine-mentoring programme aimed at women working in the wine industry, initially for South Africans but applications are now being sought for international candidates.
If you are a woman, either currently studying towards a qualification or already working in wine outside South Africa and are interested in experiencing a vintage at Jordan Wine Estate then you are invited to submit your application.
The successful candidate will have the opportunity to be part of the Jordan winemaking team to actively experience and participate in a vintage at Jordan, including all aspects of the winemaking process from grape harvesting to the entire range of red and white wine cellar work that occurs during the harvest period.
The successful candidate will receive:
- One fully paid return economy flight from a major European city to Cape Town
- Full board and lodging at Jordan Wine Estate during the four- to six- week internship
- The opportunity to visit some of the other wine growing areas of the Western Cape
- The opportunity to experience the beauty of the Western Cape and some of the renowned tourist attractions that the Cape has to offer.
The application requirements are:
- Proof of wine qualification: an internationally recognised winemaking degree/diploma or a minimum of WSET Diploma
- Valid travel documents, correct visa and international medical insurance cover
- Being free to travel to South Africa at the end of January 2014 for between four and six weeks for the 2014 vintage.
To apply: email a short qualifying letter and a brief CV to firstname.lastname@example.org. Any further queries can be directed to Kathy Jordan on email@example.com.
Applications close on 30 September 2013.