Oxford Brookes, the 'other' university in the beautiful city of Oxford, has a centre of learning devoted to food and drink called Oxford Gastronomica. This September 19-22 Oxford Gastronomica will be running a three-day course called The Language of Wine at beautiful Hertford College (pictured), right in the heart of this ancient centre of academe, although before proper term begins. (Terms at Oxford, and Cambridge, universities last just eight weeks each, with the autumn term running from early October to early December.)
The ingredients in the course include:
• Guest lecture by Professor Damian Robinson of the Institute of Archaeology, Oxford University, on the 'Roman maritime wine trade'
• Tutored wine tasting 'A taste of history' exploring some of the great historic wines of the world
• Formal gala wine dinner
• A visit to one of the best wine cellars of an Oxford college
• Tutored tasting and wine writing workshop with Alastair Peebles MW
• An exploration of the history of 'Wine at the table' with award winning wine writer (and Purple pager) Fiona Beckett (including tasting of historic wine and food combinations)
The organisers say that to be eligible for this residential course, no special knowledge is required apart from 'an interest in wine, not just as a commodity in itself, but as an essential element of civilisation. Participants should be prepared to learn, to taste and to enjoy thoughtfully.' The course fee is £1,299. To download details of the course click here.
To find out more contact Razia Nabi at firstname.lastname@example.org or
HLTM Fuller Building,
Oxford Brookes University,
Gipsy Lane, Oxford OX3 0BP
How much: £1,299
Where: Hertford College, Catte Street, Oxford,OX1 3BW
When: 19 - 22 September 2010
At exactly the same time, and also at Hertford College in Oxford, they are also running a course in Food and Drink Journalism with writer-tutors Guy Dimond and Susan Low. This course costs just £899 and the address for interested applicants is exactly as above. To download details of this course click here.
Applicants who mention JancisRobinson.com will be entitled to a 10% discount on these course fees.