29 May - update. The results were announced on 23 May and can be read in full on the Born Digital results page. I was delighted to be 'first runner-up' for my video, the full story of which can be read below.
The shortlist for the 2012 Born Digital Wine Awards was announced this week. Now in its second year, the competition 'rewards great content which is first published on the web and not in print', with categories including Best Editorial Content, Best Wine Photo Story and Best Wine Themed Video.
It is this last category which is of particular interest to me, since I am delighted to have been included on the shortlist! So, with minimal coercion from Mission Control, I was persuaded to draw this fact to your attention.
I made the video last year, and you can see it below. It's a studious, academic 'visual essay' on the wine appellations of the world. With percussion.
The full shortlist is reproduced below, with links to the relevant article in each case. It's a great compliment to be included alongside such high-calibre content, especially since the awards specifically champion online work, which is too often thought inferior to traditional print media.
The very best of luck to all of them!
Best Editorial Wine Writing
- Amy Corron Power: Wine Intelligence admits Bias, Ulterior Motives in "Wine Blogger Distrust" Release
- Andrea Frost: The Invention of Wine
- Paul Keers: Just Looking: The Joy of Wine Browsing
- Quentin Sadler: Minerality in wine - flight of fantasy, fact or terroir?
- Evan Dawson: Il Dimenticato: Piedmont's New White Star Has a Mysterious and Forgotten Past
Best Investigative Wine Story
- Pamela Heiligenthal: Has the term 'California Grand Cru' Gone too Far?
- Jim Budd: Campogate, no Pay no Jay
- Evan Dawson: Message from California Winemakers: Stop Slandering Our Pinot!
- Carly Wray: Malbec in Argentina
- Chris Kissack: Pressure Sensitive
Best Wine Tourism Feature
- Mariella Beukers: Culinair genieten in Süd Steiermark
- Louise Hurren: Authentic wines and hearty cooking in Bucelas outside Lisbon
- Tom Florina: Contextual pleasures: NYC chic meets Corsican mystique
- Nick Stock: Preserving Home Turf: A very special part of the world
- Wendy Crispell: The Carso, They've got the stones to produce great wine and cheese
Best Winery Self Produced Content
- Iris Rutz-Rudel: Balade de Juin dans la vigne
- Gavin Quinney: 13 Unpalatable Facts about the UK Wine Duty
- Ryan O'Connell: Who Visits Vineyards
- Brian Overstreet: Born to Sell
- Kerith Overstreet: Insulfurable
Best Wine Themed Video
- Ophélie Neiman: Au coeur du bouchon de liège
- Heiko Michels: Es Gart
- Giorgia Guarienti: Wine: Got to Deserve It
- Richard Hemming: An MW student's guide to remembering appellations
- Debra Meiburg: Grape Moments: Length Matters
Best Wine Photo Essay
See the Born Digital shortlist announcement page and scroll to the bottom to see these photographs.
- Giacomo Tincani: Tie (Legare)
- Lannon Harley: 2011 Riesling Harvest at Four Winds Vineyard
- Matt Wilson: Small Wine Producers in the Maule Valley Chile
- Mick Rock: A biodynamic day at Dr Bürklin Wolf
- Lannon Harley: Rolling out the nets at Four Winds Vineyard