Many wine collectors like to keep track of the value of their cellar. Liv-ex, the London International Vintners Exchange, offers an electronic marketplace for merchants trading fine wine. They therefore have excellent access to financial information about the wine market and can offer non-professionals various packages of information.
You can register for their free Price Watch service to search their price database. Or you can subscribe to their Cellar Watch service, £49.50 to £299.99 a year depending on how many wines you want to track in how many cellars. Their monthly market newsletter comes with all these packages and currently the news seems extraordinarily good. Here's an example of their chief bullet points for December:
- Trading Activity - up 40% year on year.
- Liv-ex 100* - up 1.7% for the month to a new record.
- Major Movers - Champagne and port enjoy a moment in the sun.
- Featured Wines - Second liners on the up.
- Critical Corner - Wine Spectator release their top 100.
- Final Thought - the outlook remains good for 2007.
* The Liv-ex 100 is their winey equivalent of the FTSE 100 or Dow Jones.