Five years ago Kathy Jordan of Jordan Wine Estate in Stellenbosch (pictured here) launched a two-fold wine mentoring programme aimed at women working in the wine industry, one for South Africans and the other for international candidates. This thoroughly worthwhile enterprise has now grown into the PIWOSA Women in Wine Initiative to include all the wineries belonging to this association of premium independent South African wine producers. You may remember Young Shi’s account of her time at the Winery of Good Hope earlier this year.
Applications for international candidates hoping to take advantage of these internships over the harvest early next year are now open. Applicants should be women either currently studying towards a wine qualification or already working in the wine industry outside South Africa.
What PIWOSA members will offer:
The successful candidate will have the opportunity to be part of the winemaking team at one of the member wineries to actively experience and participate in a vintage including all aspects of the winemaking process from grape harvesting to all red and white wine cellar work that occurs during the harvest period.
The successful candidate will receive:
- flights from their location and full board and lodging at the winery during the approximately four-week internship
- the opportunity to visit some of the other winegrowing areas of the Western Cape
- the opportunity to experience the beauty of the Western Cape and some of the renowned tourist attractions that the Cape has to offer.
- proof of wine qualification: an internationally recognised winemaking degree/diploma or a minimum of WSET Diploma (candidates who are near completion of their Diploma will also be considered)
- valid travel documents, correct visa and international medical insurance cover
- must be available to travel to South Africa at the end of January 2018 for approximately four weeks for the 2018 vintage.
Email a short qualifying letter and a brief CV to Christie van der Heijden on email@example.com.
Any further queries should also be directed to Christie van der Heijden on firstname.lastname@example.org.
Applications close on 31 August 2017.