Very happy Thanksgiving Day. We at JancisRobinson.com have so much to give thanks for, not least earning our living writing about the world's most delicious and intriguing liquid.
We are giving thanks by publicising the fact that the bidding has just opened for the first-ever online silent auction in aid of The Benevolent, the organisation dedicated to looking after those in the British wine and spirits trade who have fallen on hard times. It is currently run by David, twin brother of the late Michael Cox.
You have just one week to bid for the 75 lots which can be viewed here. The online silent auction is available to anyone, whether in the drinks trade or not, so you can bid for this wide range of fine wines and spirits, various corporate hospitality jollies and one-off promises that might even make a suitable Christmas present. The more bidders, the more funds will be raised for members of the UK drinks industry in need.
These are some of non-liquid lots that caught my eye:
- A round of golf with my friends and fellow wine writers Oz Clarke and Tim Atkin MW
- Eight-course meal for two at The Harrow, Little Bedwyn
- Three bottles of that special 007 Spectre champagne from Bollinger that is officially sold out
- Behind the scenes tour of The Royal Academy for six
- Various Premier League football and rugby finals tickets
- Bottle of Casa Amigos tequila signed by George Clooney
- Signed English cricket team shirt and bat from this year's Sri Lanka Test series
- Wines and butler service for six provided by chief executive of the WSET Ian Harris
To start bidding, register your details here.